In Column 127, I gave some examples of the vocabulary and grammar of verbs of longing. This Column is also one which looks at the vocabulary and grammar of another set of verbs. Namely verbs of wanting and trying to obtain.
I have chosen verbs which would be useful to intermediate and advanced learners.
As in Column 127, I have given Japanese translations.
1) He is begging for help. ＞＞ 請う・頼む
2) He is begging to see you.
3) He is begging for you to help him.
4) He is begging you to help him.
5) I thirst for / after knowledge. ＞＞ 渇望する
6) I hunger for / after justice. ＞＞ 熱望する
7) He is angling for the job. ＞＞ （遠回し）...を得ようとする
8) He is angling to get the job.
9) He is angling for you to give him the job
10) We will fight / battle / strive for what is right. ＞＞...のために戦う・...のために奮闘する
11) We will fight / battle / strive to overcome injustice.
12) The government is working / labouring to solve the economic problem. ＞＞ ...のために働きかける・...のために骨折る
13) We are all striving for a better world. ＞＞ ...のために努力する・...のために努める
14) We are all striving to make a better world.
14) He hated Mary, but exerted himself to be polite to her. ＞＞ 大いに努力する・頑張る
15) The United Nations is pushing for a solution to world hunger. ＞＞ ...を強く要求する・...を得ようと努める
16) We are campaigning for the abolition of the death penalty. ＞＞ ...のために［...の］運動を起こす
17) That group is lobbying for a cut in tax rates for doctors. ＞＞ （圧力団体などが議会などで）...のために［...の］働きかけをする
18) Mr Suzuki is canvassing for the position of committee chairman. ＞＞ （支持などを）取りつけるために依頼・勧誘して回る ・...の運動をする
If readers study this Column together with Column 127, they will notice that the grammar patterns are very similar. They should also notice that there is an overlap in the meanings of the verbs in these two Columns. In other words, there is a large "meaning family" of verbs connected with longing, wanting, and trying to obtain.
looks at ～：～を検討する
intermediate and advanced learners：中上級の学習者たち
a solution to ～：～への解決策
a tax rate：税率
the abolition of the death penalty：死刑の廃止
a committee chairman：委員会の議長
an overlap 重なり：重複